Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The nature of things

By means of a debut post via posterous and through all of the automation that follows I thought I would paraphrase a vigorous debate held at work this morning over coffee.

Essentially, my colleague and I disagreed over whether Human action is natural. His point, as I understood it was that man manipulates the environment so significantly and severely that it ceases to be natural. I on the other hand argue that man's actions can not violate nature as they are just another modulator in the system.

I am certain that many of my colleague's arguments are used to beat the drums of despair about the destruction and offence (although his words were rape and pillage) of Mother Nature. To this I can not deny that much of the procession of human history has been in ignorance, oblivion and arrogance to its impact on the biosphere, but this is not a reason for the actions to be considered un-natural nor beyond the biosphere to deal with (albeit not to humankind's liking). I will not entice Sandy into another debate about the validity of Climate Change...

More than hearing opinions on the debate, I wouldn't mind the odd link to some links to some expert debate on such thinking/musings 

Posted via email from tayls81's posterous

No comments: