Saturday, August 9, 2008

On Safety Management System

Safety Management:

How do you intend to fix the problems if you just capture stories? Surely there is a need for the processes of review and assigning causality to the failures in the system? Would you have just anybody entering their thoughts into the system? And by this, you are then willing to do nothing about something that is reported? I sure hope that you are willing to be sued

The whole basis for this system is to right the wrongs that lead to a failure such that it can't lead to another (worse) failure. Without meaningful consideration of each incident then what is the point of a Safety Management System?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agree that something follows the discovery. Recall the story of the Auckland truck drivers with their safety issues? I liked the see - attend - act aspects of that story. In an aviation safety environment I see a significant role for story telling and capture to see, attend, act.

Tayls said...

I agree, I think that Sensemaker (or something similar) probably plays a good role here. I tend toward it's twin post a little more, but I felt the need to post the counter story. A balance between the bureaucracy and the narrative capture.